Sunday, August 28, 2011

What Would It Take...

A question that pops up regularly is, 'what would it take to convince a non-believer to believe in god?' 

Well, considering that there are over 1000 gods and more than 4000 religions based upon those gods, the questioner would have to narrow down the field a bit.  In the case of Poseidon, I might be convinced if a 300 foot, bearded man were to walk out of the ocean and could, with his massive trident, create hurricanes and whirlpools on demand.

In the case of Yahweh, who is supposed to be ever-present, all-powerful and the embodiment of goodness, I suppose I'd have to go with the complete and utter eradication of cancers and aids by, let's say, tomorrow (or I could be generous and say next week, even).  That would be pretty convincing to me.  (Btw, this condition is not mine; I hijacked it from PZ, Dawkins or some other author whose name escapes me right now).

I don't think I ask for too much.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't be PZ because he says that it is impossible for a god to exist and that no evidence could convince him other wise, it may be Jerry Coyne.

    ReplyDelete