Monday, August 1, 2011

Music Lovers, Check This Out!

Cliff at The Evolving Scientist has decided to elucidate us with a three-part series entitled "Science and Celebrity".  The first part is all about musical celebrities and their ties to science.

While I enjoy every kind of music, from classical to head-bangin' metal, rarely can I tell you the name of the band, much less the names of the artists themselves.  Well, Cliff has done his research and I thought the piece was illuminating.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't really surprised to see so many musicians with interests in physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, etc.  The kinds of people interested in these fields tend to be able to see patterns that others cannot.  That's a huge advantage for musicians, as well.

Once upon a time, whist in high school, I took a music theory class where we were required to compose our own piece of music.  It turned out to be an easier assignment than I anticipated.  I took a very logical approach to composition and treated it like a math problem.   Easy A.  Also, being a band geek probably helped.  =)

Anyway, check out Cliff's article.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment