Monday, July 25, 2011

Biblical Ruins Revealed?

I am continually amused by Fox, only because of the way they present their stories.  Here's the headline:
"Archaeologists Uncover Ruins of Biblical City Shekem in War-Torn Palestine"
Makes you think that a brand new site has been discovered, but you'd be wrong.  This site has been worked since 1913 and will be open to the public in 2012. 

Why am I talking about it?  Well, this is the scenario that I envision.
The local preacher/priest scans the Fox website, sees the headline, doesn't actually read it (who has time for that?), writes a serman that includes stories of Abraham and his son Jacob (who have Biblical ties to the town of Shekem), deepens the hold he has on his flock with some of the usual rhetoric and telling them that this is "more brand-new evidence" that the Bible is fact. 


Instead of realizing that the Bible was written by men who, of course, are going to mention towns that they are familiar with in their stories (I mean, how else are they going to make the story plausible to those they are trying to convert 2000 years ago?) and looking at the story in an anthropological light, I easily see it used as more fodder for the delusion.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that there are believers who don't take the Bible literally (kudos, it's a step in the right direction), but a growing majority of Christians in the United States are Biblical literalists. 

Anyway, I don't really think this will be too much of a big deal.  I've only seen the story on the Fox news website, not on their television station, but I felt like prattling on anyway.  Thanks for listening.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment